Friday, December 9, 2011

december 8th

In the Advent Calendar Today:

"It is my turn to give: Order anything you want at Sonic after school today."

I forgot to write that they should read the Advent Devotion as well. But after they opened up box #8, they went straight to the computer and I heard the now familiar music of follow the star.

On the drive to school I asked them what the devotion was about.

B (my 12 year old) : Mom, it was freaky. It was about God burning up the earth and heaven. Even the people in heaven are going to get burned up.

Me: Where was the scripture from?

B: Probably Revelations.

Me: Oh.
(thinking...this doesn't seem very Christmasy at all.)

The verse was actually from 2Peter. It is about holiness and godliness and waiting. And blazing fires.

We didn't ever make it to Sonic. For reasons connected to bad attitudes.

So, shall we call it a bad advent day? A day when God's word does not make sense. A day when we miss out on new good things because we are so angry that everything isn't going our way.

As one of my dear friends says, "It all belongs."

What else do I really have to offer God, but all of me? Today that includes my bad attitude, my disappointments, and my mistakes. Only when all of me is offered can I appreciate and receive the gift of being unconditionally welcomed and comforted by the One who is holy.

"On this Advent road, the star lights our path with hope and comfort."

No comments: