Wednesday, December 14, 2011

december 14th


In the Advent Calendar Today:

"Read today's devotion and then go on a hunt for change around the house and in the car.
Deliver it to the Salvation Army bell ringer."

Sometimes I amuse myself with my grand plans.

Ok, so it doesn't sound like a grand plan. But you know, there are days when the smallest things feel daunting.  

This was the last day of school.  And we have worked really hard to get here.  We were wiped out.  All of us.  I had no energy to inspire the kids to go on a scavenger hunt. I took a bath and was in my pajamas before the sun went down.  The kids played way too many video games and I spent too much time on Pinterest.  

We ate dinner in shifts and then I made cookies.  They were really delicious.  Everyone else in my house is in their own space right now.  I am listening to my White Christmas Pandora station.  
It seemed a good time to read today's Advent Devotion:

Then they said to him, "Who are you? Let us have an answer for those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?" ~John 1:22

Who are you?
What do you say about yourself?

In business, parenting, updating my fb status, figuring out how to tweet, finding my place at church, even pinning "my style"...I am constantly trying to answer those questions.
And some days it's nice to stop.

Sometime soon we will collect our spare change.  We will deliver it to the jolly ones who diligently ring that bell outside of Kroger.  And we will feel a little pleased with ourselves for sharing the tiniest bit of our abundance.  

But tonight, I will find rest from trying to figure out what I am supposed to give.  I will take a break from answering all the questions about who I am.  And for today, I will practice what it means to just be.

May you know you are loved. Just for being.

No comments: