Sunday, December 18, 2011

december 15th


In the Advent Calendar Today:

"Read today's Advent Devotion and 
Go to the Library!
Deliver a treat to our favorite librarian."

My love for the library, well, there are not enough words.  I love books.  I love free books.  I love used books. I love reading them.  I love listening to them.  I love sharing them. I love returning a big stack and checking out an even bigger stack.  And I love our librarian.

He knows us by name.  He changes due dates for our lost cds and missing books.  He knows when books are waiting for us.  He knows when we are waiting for particular books.  It all just feels so very Mayberry-ish.

Our stop by the grocery store to get Sir Librarian a gift was not so dear.  My daughter became quite attached to a gift tin that was too small for the treats we had already found.  I chose another container that she did not love and would not let her change the treat to fit in the tin.  Does this seem harsh?  I just wanted to get out of the store and move on with our day.  She quite firmly told me that this was supposed to be from HER and that it was NOT. As if this was all a giant deception we were pulling over on our library friend.

I went into robot-mom mode and smiled blankly through the check-out line.  This is not who I want to be.  Not at Christmas-time.  Not at any time.  

Good thing we were headed to the library to stock up on books to fill the hours of quality time we have ahead of us.

A few of our finds:

The Cricket in Time Square by George Seldon
The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford
11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass
Blast from the Past by Meg Cabot
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

May you find something to snuggle up and read as you recover from the stress of holiday shopping.

No comments: