Wednesday, December 7, 2011

december 7th

In the Advent Calendar Today:

"Have a family advent time this morning or this evening.
The first week of advent is over.
What do you think so far?
Is it better to give than receive?"

Reflections on Today's Devotion:

Today is a day of giving thanks for those who paved the way for us, just like John did for Jesus.
Even Jesus had someone pave the way for him.
Another example of humility.
WE need each other.

Not having a car this week has been a gift for me on many levels.
I have spent more hours in the car than anywhere else since August.
As a result of car issues, I have had 3 days at my home sweet home.
Some of our friends let us borrow their car.
Another friend drove me around town.
A teacher drove my son to play practice.
My mom did the after school crazy car schedule for me.
I am very aware of my "neediness" these days.

While I am intentional this advent season, to encourage my children to give, it seems the lesson for me is in learning to receive.
It is new for me to welcome my own neediness.
In welcoming my need (as a blessing, not a curse)
I can graciously receive the gifts that my dear friends and family share with me.

So, is it better to give than to receive? There are precious gifts in both packages, the ones we thoughtfully place in the hands of others and the ones that are wrapped especially for us.

May you receive the joy of both giving and receiving Christmas.

No comments: