Monday, December 12, 2011

december 11th

In the Advent Calendar Today:

"Look up Isaiah 61:4 in our big white Bible.
What does this mean to you?
Today, think of a way you could show your brother/sister
how important they are to you."

It feels like my kids are never home at the same time. Even though I had to work last night, I attempted an early family dinner because I wanted us to have some place of connection before everyone got into the busy week ahead of us.

With less than 30 minutes to have some quality family time, I was a little tense.
Rushing my daughter downstairs after her shower, impatiently asking my son to get drinks for everyone, and just generally irritated in the direction of my husband.

Because, dang-it, we were going to connect tonight.

I caught myself, took a deep breath, tried to listen to their conversation. I smiled and laughed at their stories, stealing glances at the clock as I counted down how many minutes we had to "relax and enjoy" each other.

We had a good 10 minutes to spare and that is when I said, "Hey guys, want to move over by the fire and do our advent devotion together?"

Even though I am usually a stickler about everyone cleaning up their own plates, I was saying, "Just leave your plate there. come on, let's get going." My daughter still had spaghetti hanging from her mouth as I pulled her over to the living room.

Are you sensing this is not going to be good?

Well, you are right.

The translation of the verse from Isaiah in our big white Bible just confused the kids. While I was trying to get them off their heads and sit properly on the couch, they got in a pillow fight. So, I get louder and louder trying to tell them what I think "binding up the broken-hearted" means. While my husband is trying to figure out if he should read the verse himself or yell at the kids or pour me a drink.

In the middle of the madness, I stand up and say good-bye.
It seemed the most gracious thing to do.
I grabbed my keys, went downstairs, and off to church to teach a class on happy marriage.

Two hours later, I came home to two kids tucked in bed and a cute husband sitting by the fire with his eggnog listening to christmas music.

I hugged the kids good-night.
Enjoyed a quiet evening with my man.
No one said, "I am so sorry about the way we acted."
or
"Mom, why are you such a freak?"

I have a new understanding of why it is important to "say grace" whenever two or more are gathered, especially at dinner time.

Let us whisper "grace" into our own hearts and the ears of those who are kind enough to share their homes, meals and lives with us, even when we act like a freak.

1 comment:

Sunshine Eyes said...

oh man. Good word, friend. Have you been spying on our house the last few weeks? I usually sound something like "HURRY UP! We've got less than 5 minutes to enjoy this moment!" Argh. I am in serious need of grace.