Friday, December 23, 2011

december 17th


In the Advent Calendar Today:

"Read today's Advent Devotion.  
Tonight we will make eggnog and hot chocolate 
and play games by the fire."

It takes so much planning to pull off Christmas morning.  Sometimes I forget that the best moments are the  ones that just happen.  We had an "express Christmas" with my family last night.

We packed my (new!) car with presents.  Used a Groupon for a dozen cupcakes.  Did FaceTime with my brother's family in Texas. And topped off the night with dinner at a mexican restaurant.  

We shared a moment that all of us will remember forever. I was smiling for days remembering our time together.

It doesn't have to be complicated.
It doesn't have to cost anything.
It doesn't have to be on the calendar for months.

My son summed the evening up when he said, 
"I had my expectations really low for this night and I am having the best time!"

Tonight, we did make hot chocolate (with the packages of Starbuck's salted caramel and the magic of the Cocomotion).  We lit the fire.  We played our Christmas music.  

My daughter won Clue on her first turn.
My husband kicked our tail in Yatzee.
I was thrilled that my kids were finally old enough to play 16 rounds of Count Down.

 Our expectations took a vacation for a couple of days and we were free to enjoy each other.

No comments: