Thursday, December 22, 2011

december 16th


In the Advent Calendar Today:

"Read today's Advent Devotion and put a surprise in the mailbox for our mailman."

I know...it is a common courtesy to give a gift to your postman/woman/person.  But in years past, that has always been just one more thing on my list that I never get to.   One of my friends told me that the person who delivered her paper left an address so she would know where to send Christmas tips.  This is the kind of obligation that makes me bristle.  My mailman has never done that.  

And it is in these 8/9 days till Christmas that I start to feel the pressure that I have been not so successful at warding off with my sacred Christmas plans.

Even though all the presents are bought and wrapped, suddenly my children change their minds about what they want from Santa. Even details like their favorite color change.  

Remember our Advent Mission to deliver dog treats?

Well, one of those neighbor's delivered a special gift to my daughter to thank her.  

My daughter said,

"This is the best gift I have ever received."

Yes, she is known to be dramatic.  And the sweet gift of candy and a teddy bear figurine, while wonderful, could not be the BEST gift, right?  

She further explained, "What I mean is that all the gifts I get someone is supposed to get me (because I am their daughter/granddaughter/cousin/niece), but when someone gives you a gift that you do not deserve and they don't even know you...that is the gift that means the world to you."

Today, notice the gifts that no one was "obligated" to give to you and receive them with joy.

No comments: