Monday, January 31, 2011

Manic Monday: do the right thing

“If you really want to advise me, do it on Saturday afternoon between 1 and 4 o'clock. And you've got 25 seconds to do it, between plays. Not on Monday. I know the right thing to do on Monday.” ~Alex Agase

This morning I find myself a bit jealous of Mr. Agase.

He knows the right thing to do on Monday?

He is not pulled in eighteen different directions knowing that they all NEED to be done and something that SHOULD have been DONE will be left UNDONE at the end of this day?

These January Mondays have been flying up in my face faster than I can check my list to see what is most essential for me to do. I don't even feel like I have had the mental space to make a to-do list.

Last night as I was on my way to bed,
I walked past the pathetic potted plant in my library
(oh, that's right I have the stuff to re-pot it, must put that on my list),
went to give my kids one last kiss good-night
(oh, I must remember to rent that steam cleaner and clean that nasty stain),
and then I saw the box of hair color on my bedroom floor
(when am I going to get around to coloring my hair?).

"See,"
I said to myself,
"These are the kinds of things you need to write on your Manic Monday list."

So I went into my office and looked under piles for my big blue sketch book that holds my brain. I turned to the Manic Monday Page and oh dear...we need to get a Jen(s)&Tonic sent out, and I must renew my professional membership, and there are those library books that are overdue...

Today, I am going to believe that planning is better than doing. I need to get my list in order. I need to see how I can create space in my life to get these things done (both the urgent and the important). Maybe I will get to one of these to-do things today, but I am confident that the best use of my time will be to set out a plan for February.

Maybe I will make every Manic Monday have a theme?

1st Monday: budget, finances and giving
2nd Monday: business and professional life
3rd Monday: home and family
4th Monday: personal development
(the occasional) 5th Monday: anything that doesn't fit into one of these categories.

  • What really needs to be done?
  • What can I delegate?
  • Who can I contact to help me?
  • How can I create a calendar/schedule that supports my goals and vision
(instead of making me crazy rushed and busy)?

1 comment:

Monique said...

i'm kinda excited about your 5th monday. can i just put everything manic there and only have to think of it a few times a year? :)