Monday, March 28, 2011

Manic Monday: Are you a mouse or an eagle?

In her happy happy book, The Joy Diet, Martha Beck writes about the necessity of being able to alternate your perspectives between Eagle Eye and Mouse in a Maze.

Eagle Eye is when you are able to see the big picture, what you are really working for, what life is really about. When you look at your day/week/month/year from the Eagle perspective, you have a mission for yourself, for your time. Eagles love vision statements.

Mouse in a Maze is being able to see the obstacles and details of this moment, this step, at this time, this thing that needs to get done. Mice love to-do lists.

Our personalities are usually bent in one direction or the other. But, according to dear Martha, if we really want to live happy, joyful lives, we need to be flexible moving through our maze while also rising above it to see where we are really going.

Manic Mondays are essential for me because I have to have scheduled disciplined time to manage my to-do list. It is my natural bent to ignore paperwork and instead work on mission statements, creative projects and help others set and reach their goals.

I have awe-inspired appreciation for my friends who are good at getting things done. In fact, I could not do my life without their skills supporting me in my visionary life. But, if checking it off your list is the way you mostly manage your life, you may need to schedule structured time into your week to stop and look at what significant purpose you are moving toward. Where I have to teach myself to put down my books and my journals, other people may need to dedicate time and focus to picking up some books that inspire them, or commit to journal for even 20 minutes each week.

Be encouraged in your strengths! You are doing good things and getting good things done but don't let those strengths steal your joy. I am thrilled to have found this fun Beck-inspired journal : click HERE for some simple fun ways to keep joy in your life regardless of if you choose to take your journey by foot or by flight.

Where is your stronger skill set?
Are you good at getting things done?
Are you a pro at seeing the big picture?
Who can you ask to help you with your weaker skill?
How can you use your skills to help support someone else?

No comments: