Friday, April 24, 2009

your favorite things

The way to love life is to love many things.
~Van Gogh


I started Unwritten Travels today. For the first time since our book was cut and pasted into a binder, I am filling in the blanks of my very own copy.

Even though I am overcommitted (spell check doesn't recognize that word, but I looked it up in the dictionary and that is the correct spelling. Maybe my computer is using the red pen on my life, underlining that word to remind me that it is unhealthy and unproductive to be overcommitted.), my house has a protective layer of dust and soap scum on all surfaces, and I am headed to a bridal luncheon in just a few minutes (for the stunning Elizabeth Mc Knight, doodler extrodinare of all things Unwritten), I actually sat on my back porch and filled out the list of my favorite things.
(Yes, that was one sentence. I need a blog editor.)

It almost felt obsene.
What buisness do I have thinking about my favorite things on a day like today, in a month like this month, where there is too much to do and not near enough time or energy to do it?
But I did it anyway, because if I weren't me, I would be lecturing you on taking time for yourself ESPECIALLY in the hardest times. So I listened to me telling you that this is good for you
~healthy actually, like eating vegetables, wholegrains and drinking lots of water.

And it was.
I felt this tired part of myself stretch her little arms out, look up for the first time in a while, and remember that she matters.

My favorite color: this yummy blue (the little sticks).

My favortie article of clothing:
pink polka dot skirt that I am wearing tonight.

My favorite sport
: zumba (according to my definition of sport, anyway)

My favorite book:
I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb
and anything by Marisa de los Santos. I wrote her last year on National Author's Day and she wrote me back the kindest letter.

My favorite shoes:
I am wearing them right now. Strapy floral wedge sandals. They make me smile every time I peek at my feet :)

My favorite gift(s) received:
my camera, my engagement ring, my grandmother's ring.

Thankfulness overwhems me as I reflect on the many things I love about my life.
Well, my timer went off to alert me that I must get on with the day.

What have you learned about yourself from filling out Your Favorite Things?

1 comment:

rhenry said...

i bought unwritten travels from jenny after she described it to me in our grad school class. her description made my tired heart drool... a weird description i know, but accurate nonetheless. :)

i brought it home and waited until a dedicated moment to open it and begin. as i completed the favorite things page, i was really surprised how difficult it was for me to come up with each thing.

as the 7th of 8 kids i never really contemplated my favorites, i just had whatever i was given and couldn't be "picky". as an adult, i married a man who is the oldest of two and was raised to have preferences and favorites. this was the first time i had ever considered it okay to know those things about yourself. even so, i have found myself molding things to be his favorites, and still ignoring my own self...

that was a long way to say that i loved that part of the book... so much so that i have set up a little tent in my mind and camped out on that concept for a bit. i feel like i am getting to know myself for the first time in many years, and it feels good. :)